This is not the time for sales people to leave money on the table. Similarly, this is not the time for buyers to pussyfoot with their counterparts. Do our managers know negotiation well enough to coach their own people? There is a saying that goes, “when the blind leads the blind”, they both fall into the ditch. These we all know.
The question now is: Do our salespeople, purchasing people and managers really know how to negotiate?
- Do they bargaining (value-reduce) instead of negotiate (value retain/expand)
- Do they know when negotiation begins or when it is wastefully premature?
- Do they still think negotiation is an art and devoid of science (framework and processes) to optimize concession management?
- Do they fall prey to dark-side gambits or can they handle 3 families of gambits?
- Do they effectively operate in all 4 nego-sphere quadrants?
- Do they know how to use 48 kinds of stonewalls, modify position without loss of face, use a parachute option, avoid impasses and deadlocks?
- Do they have a 1-page tactical negotiation tool planner that simply yet comprehensively prepares them for a real-time negotiation encounter or do they just list down concession items and approved ranges?
- Do they know how to use the simple mathematics of negotiation in tandem with the process of concession management that will spell a big difference in terms of profit and loss?
- Do they know how to make power analysis?
- Do they know how to effectively negotiate from both a strong and a weak position?
IGNORANCE is not blissful when it leads to disaster. But such is avoidable if people know and understand framework, process, and skill points of negotiation. After all, THE GREATEST SOURCE OF POWER IN NEGOTIATION IS THE POWER OF KNOWLEDGE.
BARGAINING IS NOT NEGOTIATING.
THE GREATEST SOURCE OF POWER IN NEGOTIATION IS THE POWER OF KNOWLEDGE.
Negotiation is part art but largely systematic. Participants are provided knowledge input on negotiation frameworks. Lots of stories, cases and examples are used to hammer down critical components and principles of negotiation.
The seminar culminates with a negotiation simulation that uses a case common to all groups but compartmentalized in terms of information, just like in the real world. The case is tactically planned for and then role-played in front of the class by several groups. Apart from providing an immediate opportunity to practice negotiations in a safe environment, participants learn to be more observant of the exchange and process, stimulating development of their diagnostic faculty and tactical negotiation reflexes.
Part 1: Negotiation Frameworks & Principles
- Identifies exactly when negotiation should be or not be used
- Differentiates negotiation from its poor cousin, bargaining
- Discusses the elements involved in negotiation as well as their dynamics
- Shows how negotiation adds value to both the customer and the company allowing for customer satisfaction, transaction remorse avoidance at a profit to the company
- Relates relationship posturing to negotiating success
- Tackles principles and sources of power and the three (3) ways to neutralize it
- Provides guidelines when negotiating from a weak position
Part 2: Negotiation Processes
- Walks the participants through the main negotiation process
- Provides the very valuable concession management process
- Shares with participants a very effective tool (one-page template) for tactical-level negotiation preparation
- Teaches concession planning using bucketing and nego-mathematics to protect the one’s/company’s well-being while getting to close agreements
- Shows how to avoid deadlocks
- Tackles the use of backdoor exits (saving grace) and parachute options (walk away) that do not diminish credibility nor spark an unintended deadlock
Part 3: Negotiation Tactics
- Reveals common gambits and dark ploys
- Provides the framework to better understand the 3 families of gambits in relation to the nego-sphere (negotiation atmosphere) quadrants
- Shows how to diagnose and effectively handle each of these commonly used gambits and balance-upsetting dark ploys using a diagnostic-prescriptive format
Part 4: Skill Lab
- Provides participants a safe lab environment to familiarize themselves with the valuable tools as applied to their own real cases, under the guidance of the training master
- Learning Summary and Skill Development Tips
- Utilizes the following:
- Interactive Lectures
- Stories (case examples in easy to retain and relate-to story format)
- (Own) Case Analysis & Tactical-level Encounter Planning
- Tool usage practice
- Learning Role Plays:
- Small Group Discussions
- Class Discussions
- Diagnostic Test and Subsequent Discussion of Answers
- Learning Checkpoints
KEY BENEFITS FOR PARTICIPANTS
Each participant will learn:
- clearly distinguish between negotiating and bargaining
- understand when negotiations should begin and when not to engage in it
- gain knowledge of negotiation frameworks
- understand the negotiation process
- plant seeds of skill development related to tactical negotiation including negotiating from a weak position
- familiarize themselves with ploys and how to handle each effectively
- adopt an integrated and balanced attitude towards optimizing both customer satisfaction and the well-being of the company
- earn confidence points that reinforces negotiation-posture
KEY BENEFITS TO COMPANIES
The company will gain:
- financially from more efficient execution of sales and/or purchase deals
- strategic partnerships with suppliers
- ripple effects on other team members
- the impact of a more productive and job-satisfied negotiations-trained personnel/team
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Any person engaged in selling or buying, entrepreneurs and executives, managers, supervisors, executive assistants and other personnel, who deal with either external or internal counterparts and customer service personnel and other customer-interfacing personnel will largely benefit from this seminar.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY EXPERT
Partner and Chief Sales Strategist
26 year-plus veteran of Training, Coaching and Consulting. 28 years of successful sales, buying and negotiation practice, injector of science in the fields of selling, negotiation, sales management, business-to-business marketing, and retail optimization as well as management via his original framework, processes and tools. He is the pioneering developer of the world’s first mathematics of negotiation, strategic nego-mapping methodology, 3D Language Wheel (verbals tones and body language), selling mechanics as well as systematic account development strategies, tools in a business-to-business setting, sales management framework, simplified problem solving, effective coordination, the 4 modes of management, conflict resolution, problem solving, effective coordination and smoothen communication in organizations and many more. He provides a 360-degree and multi-dimensional set of perspectives from that of the CEO, middle management, down to that of the front-liner and staff member and has had exposure in almost every industry.
Rowen Paul A. UntiveroPartner and Chief Sales Strategist
Rowen Paul Untivero is a Partner and Chief Sales Strategist of Mansmith and Fielders, Inc. He is a veteran of Training, Coaching and Consulting for a quarter of a century and with almost 3 decades of successful sales, buying and negotiation practice, injector of science in the fields of selling, negotiation, sales management, business-to-business marketing as well as management in general via his original framework, processes and tools. He has contributed much science to business as the pioneering developer of the world’s first mathematics of negotiation, the strategic nego-mapping methodology, reading and projecting verbals and tones over the phone or to include body language when face to face, as well as systematic account development strategies, tools in a business-to-business setting, sales management framework, simplified problem solving, effective coordination, the 4 modes of management, conflict resolution, problem solving, effective coordination and smoothen communication in organizations and many more. He provides a 360-degree and multi-dimensional set of perspectives from that of the CEO, middle management, down to that of the front-liner and staff member and has had exposure in almost every industry.
He graduated Cum Laude at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, with a bachelor’s degree in BS Economics, a pinned member of two prestigious international honor societies: Phi Kappa Phi International Honor Society and Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society for Social Sciences; supplemented by MBA studies in De La Salle University, an Executive Education Program on Strategic Business Leadership from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business-Illinois, USA, and the attendance to numerous seminars and conferences in sales, marketing, management, and leadership.
Rowen is a valuable combination of being a training master, a seasoned and successful practitioner of marketing, sales and general management, an educator, a co-author, a columnist and a consultant. As a Senior Consultant and Partner in Mansmith & Fielders, Inc. apart from public seminars he has conducted, he has also been engaged in various training and consulting programs, for diverse clientele like 3M, Abbott Laboratories, ABS-CBN, Ace Saatchi, Ajinomoto, Amspec, Amwire, Asia Connect, Astra-Zeneca, Atlas Feeds, Bayer Animal Health, Bayer Crop Science, Bahay Financial Services, Basic Graphics, Baxter, Benby, BoehringerIngelheim, Boral Plasterboards, British Petroleum, Brother’s Burger, Businessworld, Caltex, Century Canning, CEVA SanteAnimale, Chinabank, CWC Group, Del Monte, DMCI, Duty Free, Eastwest Seed, Edward Keller. Electrogroup, Far East Bank, Federal Land, Fonterra, Globe Telecom, Goldilocks, GSPI, Green Cross, Healthway, Hyundai, Insular Life, Intellicare, IPI, Inquirer.net, Jacinto, Jardine-Distribution, Jones Lang Lasalle Lee Chiu, JS Unitrade, JTI, Liquigaz, Khumbu Enterprise, Magsaysay Group, Malayan Insurance, Meralco, Merck, Merial, Metrovet, Microdata, Monark, Natasha, Neltex, Nestle, Nissan, Orange Power, Petron, PCI Bank, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Philsteel, Pru-life, PS Bank, Purefoods, Ricoh, Rockwell Land, Rustan’s Marketing, Rustan’s & Shopwise, Sanofi, Schering-Plough Animal Health, San Miguel Central Key Account Group, San Miguel Pure-foods-Hormel, San Miguel-Feeds, San Miguel Packaging, Scholastic, Sky Cable, Smart, SMDC, Sophia Jewellery, Splash Cosmetics, St. Mary’s Publishing, Summit Media, Sunjin, Suy Sing & Super 8, Syngenta, Technotime, Thinkpadd, UCPB-Gen Insurance, Unilever, Unipresident, URC Beverage, V-Cargo, Watson’s ,World Partners Bank, Wrigley, Wyeth among others. He brings with him his “hands-on” experience and success in handling various general management, marketing and sales positions in companies like Smart Communication Inc., Tupperware, Pocketbell, Liberty Telecoms and Procter & Gamble.
He was Country Manager for Alcatel Mobile Phones, before moving to entrepreneurship. He is currently the Founding Director of DigiPost Marketing Inc., a narrowcasting media pioneer dealing with digital display advertising, the President of Privilege Z!, and also the Chairman & CEO of Connecting Mavens, the business development arm of the Mansmith Group.
As an educator, he has taught marketing and sales subjects in Ateneo de Manila University and St. Scholastica’s College. He has been sought as speaker for numerous conventions and conferences of varied industries as well as the academe.
Rowen has also been director of the boards of the Advertising Board of the Philippines (ADBOARD) and Philippine Association of National Advertisers (PANA). He also became a trustee for the PANA Foundation. He was also twice Vice President of the Philippine Marketing.